Friday 27 June 2014

Thyroid Boosting "Tuna" Salad

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in 2012. My metabolism felt like it had plummeted, I had low energy and put on weight. 

The thyroid is a gland which is butterfly shaped gland in the neck, that sits just in front of the windpipe. It produces hormones that help regulate the body's processing that turns food into energy. These are called T3 and T4 (thyroxine). When there is not enough thyroxine being produced the body starts to slow down, hence why I struggled physically in energy levels and weight. Muscular aches were also common, also down to not enough thyroxine. 

What is the cause of hypothyroidism? Well it is hard to say really. It could be iodine deficiency, environmental pollution, stress, high levels of cortisol, not speaking your truth. It is different for each individual. For me, I was intuitively drawn towards not drinking the right type of water. I used to drink a LOT of water when I was younger, but just tap water. Back then, I was not in awareness of the thousands of chemicals that are in the tap water. It is just a sense, but I think this certainly was a main contributing factor to my thyroid becoming underactive. That and expressing my soul's needs. There is a degree of discernment between expressing your soul's Truth and your Ego. You do not need to express everything and anything that comes into your consciousness, but when you are not expressing/living a deep Truth which exists on a cellular level, well your body will have ways of communicating to you to...stop and listen. Quite clever really. All our "illnesses", "pains", "dis-ease's" and just very clever ways of indicating we are out of balance. Thankyou Universe! 

Nutritionally, to help out the thyroid I now take iodine in the form of Kelp everyday in powder or tablet and have seaweed when I can. I am a big fan of Nori rolls, irish spirulina (very yummy), bladderwrack, kelp salt. So here is a fishy recipe, which resembles a kind of mayonnaisey, tuna flavour. Very tasty.

Thyroid "Tuna" Salad

Serves 2-3

Sauce
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1.5 cups soaked sunflower seeds
  • 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 drops liquid stevia
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • bunch fresh dill
  • 2 tbs seaweed (bladderwrack, wakame, kombu)
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
Blend milk, vinegar, garlic, seeds, stevia, lemon, salt and pepper. Add in the coconut butter. Add more coconut milk if it is not thick enough. Pour over:
  • chopped 4 celery sticks
  • chopped 4 spring onions 
Sprinkle dill or kelp granules on top. Squeeze some lemon juice over to finish. You can even add spirulina if you fancy (I passed on that). 

In-Joy and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment